To be a success we must always be on the look out for opportunity. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t apply ourselves where we are. What it does mean is we should constantly act like we will need to apply for a job tomorrow.
Here are some suggestions:
- Keep track of your success and accomplishments. A journal is a good way to do this.
- Freshen up your resume regularly. This is a good way to remind you of your successes.
- Fill out a job application even if you are not looking for a job. This forces you to consider where you are excelling in your career and where you should focus some new energy.
- Consider your references regularly. Are you building a network of associates that will support you with a reference? Make sure you have a variety of references, some peers and some supervisors.
- Don’t burn bridges. Even if you are dissatisfied with your present position, make the best of it. Do the best you can, learn from those around you and leave on good terms.